Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Appt.

My wife had her bimonthly appointment with Dr. M to renew her Femara+Progesterone scripts, and consult on our progress. She asked him where we go from here, should our success rate remain consistent (at zero) - he said we should continue with one more month of Femara+Progesterone, and if unsuccessful, proceed with laproscopy (to check for endometriosis) and/or move on with medicated IUI cycles, followed by IVF if necessary. He left the laproscopy optional - it would give us more information, but wouldn't entirely change our approach.

My wife's reaction to the possibility of another go at IVF involved some commentary on our bad experience in our first go around. Dr. M asked "Where did you do your IVF again?" - my wife told him IVF Michigan. Dr. M gave several examples of former patients that had gone through IVF Michigan before ending up in his office - their stories were very similar to ours: Need help getting pregnant, one semen analysis reveals only chance for success to be IVF. The patients in his story ultimately end up pregnant through non-IVF methods. Dr. M told my wife that he doesn't think we should be doing IVF anyways due to our age (we're too young) - it's comforting to know that there are people out there that genuinely want to help in a cost-effective way. Dr. M is a good man, and we're happy to be under his care and counsel.

My wife is supposed to start her period on Monday of next week. She has not started spotting yet - this is a positive step. It appears, for now, that the progesterone is doing its job. I'm sure that the second I hit the "publish" button, small bits of her uterine lining will begin to precipitate. The publish button has a reddish-brown color ... coincidence?

2 comments:

Martin said...

A good doctor is HARD to find, and is priceless.

Here's hoping for nothing come Monday.

Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Good luck! I am curious though about why the doc thinks your too young for IVF? I posted before about my husband's infertility and our experience at U of M and becoming pregnant the first IVF cycle. Our's was strictly male factor, but I am 25 and he is 40 and they counseled IUI was a waste of time and money for our situation and IVF with ICSI was the best option...we also switched from IVF Michigan after never doing treatment there after meeting Dr. S.

I'm sure your doc knows what is best for you and I wish you the best of luck....your blog has given me a husband's point of view dealing with infertility. Stay positive...it will happen!